Symptoms Of Earring Allergies And Their Treatments
Symptoms of earring allergies are not pleasant, so it is best to figure out how to avoid having allergic reactions while still being able to wear earrings. Luckily, earring allergies are simple reactions to certain types of metals or other materials used incorporated in earrings. Figuring out which materials you are allergic to will allow you to figure out the alternative types of earrings that you can use.
Earring Allergy Symptoms
When reacting to a metal, you will experience various symptoms of earring allergies which will most likely be quite painful. An earring allergic reaction will cause the following:
- Your skin will turn red and eventually it will start to form a rash.
- The skin will also be very itchy which will cause you to scratch the area that is infected.
- If the allergic reaction gets to its worst state, it will form blisters filled with fluid that cause pain to the ears.
When you begin noticing early symptoms such as soreness to the ears and swelling, you should begin treatment immediately. When inflammation is present, you will need to use topical corticosteroids which help reduce the swelling. However, if allergies are severe such as the presence of pus, you may have to use antibiotics. It is a good idea to consult a dermatologist in order to get the proper treatment medicine.
Common Materials Related to Earring Allergies
There are several metals that can cause earring allergies but the most common metal that causes allergic reactions is nickel. The reason why many people are allergic to nickel is because it does not react well to moisture and when combined with moisture, it actually forms salts. Although earrings are not normally made from latex, some earrings may have tiny specs of latex within them. This is often the case with cheap jewelry. Latex allergies are also quite painful and can be worse than the symptoms of earring allergies associated with nickel. For severe latex allergies, the heartbeat will be altered and drops in blood pressure can also occur.
Avoiding Allergic Reactions
In order to avoid allergic reactions, follow the tips below.
- You can purchase hypoallergenic earrings. These earrings are made from allergy-free metals.
- However, the best way to avoid having allergic reactions is to spend more money and buy quality earrings such as those made from sterling silver and 14 karat gold.
- It is also very important to keep your jewelry dry and moisture-free at all times in order to avoid all complications that could arise. One trick you can apply is to put clear nail polish over the earrings in order to avoid contact with the ears directly.
You don’t have to avoid wearing earrings simply because you have experience symptoms of earring allergies. Follow the tips provided in this article and be able to wear earrings without worries.